Thursday, February 03, 2011

Higher Fares
Airlines are raising fares again, mostly to pay for more security guards to protect their employees when they cancel flights at the last minute.

NYC Smoking Ban
New York City is about to ban smoking even in most outdoor areas. So from now on if you want to kill yourself in New York, you'll just have to go to Yankee Stadium wearing a Red Sox hat.

New Jail
The long-delayed, new $84 million jail finally opened in downtown Los Angeles this week. That's opposed to the older, $184 million jail in downtown Los Angeles known as "USC."

Nice Pay!
16 parking attendants at Boston's Massport are making about $90K each per year. But the other attendants are making much more by simply stealing cars.

Bloomberg on Pensions
New York Mayor Mike Bloomberg says pension costs will rise to about 12% of the city's total budget this year. The other 88% will be used to protect the mayor from union thugs after he cuts their pensions.

February 3rd

1451: Sultan Mehmed II inherits the throne of the Ottoman Empire… but after estate taxes, it is reduced to three square blocks of downtown Istanbul.

1488: Bartolomeu Dias of Portugal lands in Mossel Bay after rounding the Cape of Good Hope… he proceeds to delight the natives with fantastic choices from the Duty Free shop.

1995: Astronaut Eileen Collins becomes the first woman to pilot the Space Shuttle, and immediately becomes the first shuttle pilot to ask for directions.


Post a Comment

<< Home